What You Need to Know About HBO’s Upcoming Watchmen Series
HBO, the same network that produces classic pull-no-punches shows like Dexter, the Sopranos, Game of Thrones and Westworld, has officially greenlit a Watchmen Series.
Back in May, fans were treated to a letter posted by Damon Lindelof outlining some of the plans for the show. In the letter, he explained that the new series would not be a re-telling of the events of the graphic novel by Alan Moore, but a story featuring new characters and events occurring in modern day.
Who’s in it?
Many of the cast members for the Watchmen series have already been confirmed, with the six names in bold slated to portray the lead characters.
- Regina King (Enemy of the State, Ray)
- Andrew Howard (Limitless, Agents of SHIELD)
- Don Johnson (Miami Vice, Nash Bridges)
- Tim Blake Nelson (O Brother Where Art Thou, Minority Report)
- Adelaide Clemens (The Great Gatsby, Silent Hill: Revelation)
- Louis Gossett Jr. (An Officer and a Gentlemen, Enemy Mine)
- Jeremy Irons (Die Hard With a Vengeance, The Lion King)
- Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (Aquaman, The Get Down)
- Lily Rose Smith (The Vampire Diaries)
- Frances Fisher (Titanic, Unforgiven)
- Jacob Ming-Trent (Shrek: The Musical)
- Adelynn Spoon
- Sara Vickers (The Alienest, Endeavour)
- Dylan Schombing (Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency)
What is known so far
As with any HBO series, the people involved in the production are going to be tight-lipped. However, some leaked set photos have emerged from a Brazilian Twitter account, and Slash Film released a series of prop and set photos shedding a little bit of light on what’s happened since the end of the graphic novel.
A newspaper declaring the death of Adrian Veidt, otherwise known as Ozymandias, who in 1986 committed an act of mass terrorism by enacting a false flag alien invasion can be seen in the photos, as well as number signs pointing to “alien squid” shelters and a version of the American flag in which the usual pattern of fifty stars has been replaced with one giant star, surrounded by many smaller ones.
Of particular note are the other headlines, showing that this is a very different modern America. Some of the headlines talk of a Lunar Silo, suggesting a permanent base has been established on the moon. Other headlines talk of a squid shower destroying a homeless camp, killing two.
Eagle-eyed fans would recall Ozymandias was responsible for genetically engineering an “Alien monster” that appears like a squid, which he used in his false flag invasion. The newspaper suggests that the squid may still be being used by someone in power as a weapon.
All we know for certain of is that nothing will quite be as it seems in the Watchmen series, and I suspect we won’t know for certain until the show has run it’s course. However, we’ll begin to discover what’s going on as it debuts in 2019.